Blogging has been receiving huge attention these days. Everyone wants to start a blog and dreams of earning a handsome income. But, one should note that it is not as easy as it seems. With hundreds of thousands of blogs vying for attention on the world wide web, making your blog visible to search engines is a difficult task in itself. Hence, this post is an attempt to help the prospective bloggers understand the needs to be considered before setting out on the journey of creating a blog. Having said that, let us learn how to start a blog on WordPress and make money.
Before starting a blog, define your objectives for launching a blog. There is a wide range of reasons one would think of starting a blog. Here are a few reasons one would want to start a blog. Thus, you need to set your priorities first.
- Making money – This is exactly what most of the bloggers start their blogs for. Many of the well-known bloggers start a blog to make money sitting at home. Of course, it needs you to have patience before you begin to make sufficient earning. But, the fact remains that it isn’t that tough either.
- Giving more exposure to your ideas – You may also start a blog to give better exposure to your ideas. A blog helps you reach out to more audience with ease while giving them avenues of their needs like searching out on Utah Rehab centers. And the cost involved is less.
- Just share your views – You may start a blog to share your ideas. There are people who love starting a blog to build a community or make their ideas reach a wider audience.
Decide your goals and make sure that the blog you are about to launch would help you achieve the goals. that way, you will be at ease to proceed further.
What do you need to start a blog?
Well, before you start your blog, prepare a checklist of what you need. So, the basic things you would need are
- Choose a topic for your blog
- Decide on a host
- Register a domain name
- Install WordPress
- Design your Blog
It’s very peaceful and secure if you have security services in your home while working on your blog, so do visit SecurityInfo.com also.Now that we have focussed on a WordPress blog, we will not discuss the blogging platform we would be using. Rest of the prerequisites can be discussed as below.
Step 1. Choose the topic for your blog
Choosing the topic, you would begin blogging should be most important. And it is one of the toughest decision to make. You may have multiple interests. Designing a blog for a company can be much easy. You will write about your products or services. However, choosing the topic as an individual blogger is the toughest task. But you have better choices.
So, to begin to take care to note down the following points
- Writing about something that interests you is the best thing you can do.
- Always look for the topic that allows you have ample discussion. Thus, you would have a constant inflow of ideas for newer posts.
- Establishing yourself as an author is most important. So, choosing a topic that you can discuss authoritatively would be the best one that you can choose.
Never hesitate to choose a newer idea as long as you are confident of being able to write on it. Thus, make a resolve to find your blog in an authoritative position one day.
Step 2. Choose a domain name and register it
Name matters, as they say. If you want people to visit your blog, it should have a catchy title. In fact, choosing a domain name for your blog is a tricky task.
Most of the bloggers consult their friends and family members. An extension of the name also is of importance. A .com extension is considered to be premium and much in demand. You need not worry – there are many new extensions available and gaining popularity. We would advise you to follow some guidelines while choosing a domain name.
- You may consider using your name for the domain name. It could be the good option if you are already a well-known name in your chosen area of interest. This can help you build a brand around you.
- Ensure that your domain name does not look similar to existing sites, lest your visitors may get confused. Try to stay unique.
- Never use hyphens and commas. This can be confusing for your readers.
- Avoid using longer domain names. Having to type less will avoid misspellings and as such can drive better traffic to your site.
Where to get a domain name from? There are several domain registrars you can get in touch with. However, GoDaddy can be a great choice. Almost all domain registrars provide concessional tariff for the first year.
Read more :- Top Domain Name Registrar 2017
Step 3. Hosting
Hosting is where your blog resides. Thus, you need to opt for a good web hosting service that offers your readers a better and faster access to your site. Unless you have a domain name and a hosting service, your site will not be online, and no one will be able to access it. So, be careful with your hosting provider.
A good hosting service should be faster and better uptime. It should also ensure better page load speed. You can choose from a wide range of hosting providers and plans. We would advise you to opt for Bluehost. There are a few features that make Bluehost a great choice when it comes to Hosting.
- It can help you out with a domain name. Bluehost provides you a free domain name with its hosting plan.
- The plans offered by BlueHost are quite cheaper in comparison to the competitor services.
- BlueHost prides itself in being one of the customers friendly hosting service. Their customer care quality has been one of the highest rated. They have all available channels like Live Chat, Email, FAQs, Video Tutorials and personal support.
- One of the features we like most about BlueHost is Any Time Money Back Guarantee that it offers you. While most other hosting sites come with limited time money back offers.
BlueHost has some innovative benefits on offer. They offer you unlimited bandwidth and disk space. Then, you also have access to a wider range of website templates you can choose from. Moreover, if you want to migrate from BlueHost for any reason, it provides you an easier process of doing it without any hassles.
Read more :- Top Cheap and Best Linux Hosting Services
Step 4. Install WordPress
Well, the next step would be installing WordPress. If you are a beginner, we would recommend you to ignore most of the settings for the time being. Because the cPanel on your hosting account may have a few them, and it could lead to confusion initially.
Just scroll to Website and choose WordPress. You should be taken to the WordPres installation page. Follow the steps here below.
- You will be asked to choose the domain name. Choose it from the dropdown list.
- Enter your site name and then set up a username and password. Check all the necessary boxes and click on Install.
- Once installed, you will see a Success message displayed.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed WordPress. Next thing would be to customize your site by means of themes and plugins. The steps would be self-explanatory and depend on your personal preferences. We will not go into details of these customizations for the purpose of this tutorial.
Read More :- How to Install WordPress
Step 5. Create your posts
Well, it is now time to create your first post. The steps would be quite easier to follow. So, here we go –
- Launch your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Posts->New
- Begin writing in the editing area. This is your first blog post.
- You can save the post as a draft for improving it later, or publish it right away.
You would see several settings on the dashboard including tags and categories. Practice will make you learn using them easily. Explaining them can be beyond the purview of this post.
How to earn money from WordPress Blog?
Congratulations on the creation of your first blog. What is a blog for if it cannot earn for you? We will now concentrate on discussing how you can earn money through your blog.
#1. Google AdSense
Google Adsense is the most popular means of earning from your website. There are many alternatives to AdSense, but bloggers will swear by the name of AdSense.
However, it would not be easy to get an AdSense account so easily. Google has a strict procedure that evaluates your blog from a lot of perspectives. You will need to produce enough content on your site. A standard rule would be your blog should at least be six months old. Opting for Google AdSense may not be a good option if you have just started out. We would advise you to keep updating your blog with regular content and wait till six months before applying for Google AdSense.
However, if you already have a Google AdSense account approved, you can use it on your site to start earning right away.
#2. Affiliate Marketing
This is a lucrative means of earning some handsome income through your blog. You can use affiliate ads on your WordPress blog. Consider signing up for an affiliate account with reputed online stores like Amazon, Flipkart, and SnapDeal.
It works quite simple. You get an affiliate ID. Just choose a product from the online store chosen and create a content around it. You can include the affiliate link in your post. If any of your readers clicks on the link and completes the purchase, you will be paid a commission based on the amount of transaction. You can include your affiliate link to your blog post, or use it as a banner ad.
Please note that there are some restrictions to which affiliate links you can use. Opt for legitimate affiliate services. Avoid using pornography sites, gambling sites and dubious schemes like getting rich instantly or Multi-Level Marketing schemes.
Affiliate marketing – if used judiciously – can be a great source of income. In fact, it is the most cost effective mode of earning online income. There is no need for opting for a physical business location for earning profits. You can practically reach the global customer base with the aid of affiliate marketing. It would be a great way for passive income as you will not need to spend anything.
#3. Sponsored Posts
This is one of the best methods you can earn money through your blog. If your blog is well established, you can expect a good deal of sponsored post requests from well-established brands or software products, thus making you earn additional income.
You can create an advertisement page on your blog to attract the advertisers. So, if an advertiser is interested in sponsoring a post on your blog, you can have discussions and then write an article on the topic suggested. However, you would be expected to provide the links requested in the post. Please note that the blog post needs to be approved by the advertiser before they can release your payment.
There are a few restrictions, though. WordPress does not approve of the sites that have a huge number of sponsored posts.
#4. Sell digital products
If you have any of those products that you would want to sell yourself, WordPress blog can be a great option. If you do not want to sell for others, then sell your own items.
Some of the products you can sell online include EBooks, Softwares and tools, images/videos and other such content. However, do take care that the products you create and sell on your site are relevant to the niche of your blog. So, they should be actually useful from your users’ point of view. However, ensure that you are within the legal limits of doing business.
The Final Thoughts
Well, that was a brief and concise tutorial on how you can start a WordPress blog and make money online. We have kept the neo bloggers in mind while compiling these Do’s and Dont’s. As such have avoided going into finer details – lest we confuse the readers whom this post is actually addressed to. So, once you get to the core of the steps involved in these concepts, you can definitely be able to earn quite a handsome income through your online activities.
What other suggestions do you have? If you have any better ideas wherein a newbie in the blogging world can reap the benefits of his/her efforts and earn a comfortable passive income(or even a full-time income!), do share your ideas and views with us.